Free Consultation

No Fee If No Recovery

99% Success Rate

FAQs About Car Accidents

Torrance California Personal Injury Attorney

How to Handle an Automobile Accident

What information should I get if I’m in an auto accident?

After an accident, first find out if anyone is hurt and obtain the necessary emergency help by calling 911.  After emergency calls are made, try and get the following:

  • The names and addresses of all the drivers of all the cars involved in the accident.
  • The driver’s license numbers of all the drivers of all the cars involved in the accident.
  • The name of the insurance company and the insurance policy number of all the drivers of all the cars involved in the accident.
  • The names, addresses, and phone numbers of all witnesses.

Should I call the police?

Yes, call 911.  The police are trained to respond to emergencies and determine who caused the accident.

What should I do at the accident scene?

After emergency calls are made and information exchanged, look and listen.  Take photos of the cars so that the damage can be seen.  Take photos of the accident scene.  Listen to what people are saying about how the accident happened.

Should I go to the doctor?

Yes.  If you have any pain or discomfort, go to your doctor.  Often, complaints don’t begin until 12 to 24 hours after the accident.  Don’t just hope your pain will go away.  Go to your doctor and tell him or her you were in accident.  Report all your symptoms to ensure you get the right medical treatment.

Do exactly as your doctor says.  Follow all medical instructions.

If your condition required immediate care and you were taken to an emergency room, make sure you follow-up with your own physician and any appropriate specialist.

Should I give a statement to the other driver’s insurance company?

No.  Do not give a statement to the other side’s insurance company.  If you are contacted by the other driver’s insurance company, be polite but state that you do not wish to speak to them.  The other driver’s insurance company wants to minimize your damage and the amount of money you will recover.  It will use your statement against you if it can.  Remember be polite but do not give a statement.

Should I contact my own insurance company?

Yes.  Most auto insurance policies require their policyholders to promptly report every auto accident.

Do I need a lawyer?

Yes, if you were hurt and want compensation for your losses.  If you were hurt in an accident and the accident was not your fault, you should have a lawyer.  Only your lawyer will work to make sure you recover all that you are entitled to.  The insurance company for the other party wants to minimize your injuries and minimize the amount of money you receive for your injuries.  In order to protect yourself, you need a lawyer.


Se Habla Españo


How Can We Help You?


Our Record Speaks for Itself

98% Success Rate

  • Over 35 Years of Success Serving Southern California

  • No Fee if No Recovery

Contact us today for a free initial consultation:

Brown, Brown & Brown
Personal Injury Attorneys
23326 Hawthorne Blvd.
Suite 380
Torrance, CA 90505

Phone: 310-378-3733

Personal Injury Lawyers